Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Why I voted for Donald Trump

             Donald Trump, the Republican candidate for President, is controversial. Many people are upset over his statements concerning illegal immigration, his habit of insulting his opponents, his boorish behavior, and his inexperience. Even though I am unhappy with some of Trump’s behaviors, I still voted for him, here are some of the reasons why:

1. I voted for Trump because I am pro-life.
In Newsday, on June 10, 2016, Clinton said, “I’ve been proud to stand with Planned Parenthood for a long time, and, as president, I will always have your back.” Clinton has indicated she supports abortion all the way up until the moment the child is born. As a Christian, I simply cannot and will not vote for a baby killer. Trump was pro-abortion for many years and only decided to be pro-life shortly before the election season started. However, he says he is pro-life now and because of this, he is the better choice. In the debates, he stood up for the sanctity of the life of the unborn child.

2. I voted for Trump because of the Supreme Court.
On February 13, 2016, Antonin Scalia died. He was one of the most conservative judges on the Supreme Court. His seat sits empty and the Senate has refused to confirm a new judge until the next President takes office. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 83 years old , Anthony Kennedy is 80, and Stephen Breyer is 78. It is likely that the next president will get to replace all three of them during the next four-year term. Trump has promised to appoint solidly conservative judges who will be faithful to the Constitution. Clinton would appoint liberal judges who would take away religious liberties, take away gun rights, support abortion, and limit the free speech of individuals and corporations.

3. I voted for Trump because I trust his judgment.
The Apprentice is a reality TV show and I know it is not real. But, I enjoyed watching the show. Every week, America watched Trump make decisions concerning who to fire and who would stay on the show. He never made arbitrary decisions. He carefully weighed the evidence, allowed all sides to speak, and then made a decisive decision. I did not always agree with his decision, but I always understood why he made the decision and I respected him for his choices. The ability to do this does not necessarily transfer to international affairs, but I suspect it does.

4. I voted for Trump because he is a successful businessman.
Trump is known for building buildings. If he builds a nice building, he makes a profit. If he builds a bad building, he goes bankrupt. He has both succeeded and failed in the real world. In contrast, politicians from both sides of the aisle live in an artificial world where they spend billions of dollars and have nothing to show for it. Our government is overrun with waste and corruption and no one seems to be able to stop the gravy train. Trump’s experience in the business world brings a fresh perspective to government that will be good for America. There are some incompetent Federal employees that need to be fired (I’m looking at you Veteran’s Administration) and Trump is the man for the job.

5. I voted for Trump because I believe in the rule of law.
            The law concerning illegal immigration is clear yet President Obama has chosen to ignore the law even when ordered by the courts not to do so. If this nation is going to continue to function, it must be a nation that obeys the law. Otherwise, we will become a Banana Republic where “might makes right.” Trump has promised to enforce the laws that are already on the books concerning illegal immigration. While I am sympathetic to those who are in the United State illegally (Deuteronomy 10:19 tells us “to love those who are foreigners”) the nation has to be a nation of laws. The proper recourse for dealing with the immigration problem is through the legislature, not through executive decree.
Also, Clinton clearly broke the law when she kept classified e-mails on her private server. The reason she needed a private server was because she wanted to hide the fact that foreign countries like Saudi Arabia and Qatar gave money to the Clinton foundation in exchange for access to the State Department. The fact that the FBI has decided not to recommend an indictment does not change the fact that Clinton broke the law and endangered the security of America.

6. I voted for Trump because I support the platform and the policies of the Republican party.
            - I support the right to bear arms. "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe” (Luke 11:21 NIV).
            - I support pro-life policies. “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you…” (Jeremiah 1:5 NIV).

            - I support traditional marriage. “…at the beginning the Creator made them male and female” (Matthew 19:4 NIV).