A stewardship is a trust. A steward is “one called to exercise responsible care over possessions entrusted to him or her.” We’re stewards over our time, our talents, and our resources” (Covey, First Things First, p. 129). Stewardship involves a sense of being accountable to someone or something higher than self.”
Stewardship: taking care of another’s stuff as if it is your own.
- Everything we have is a gift from God...our time, talents, air we breath, water we drink, spouse, etc.
Everything we have comes from God.
1 Chronicles 29:14 "But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.”
Everything we give God, comes from Him.
- Everything we give comes from God...He still maintains ownership...
- The earth is the Lords and the fullness thereof...
- You don’t have any rights, relationships, or resources but what God has given you.
How can you get arrogant if everything you have comes from God?
Matthew 25:14 "Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them” - We are God’s servants with His goods.
Matthew 25:19 "After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them” - There will be a reckoning...God will hold us accountable for what he has given us.
- There is no privilege without responsibility. There is no promotion without faithfulness.
We are stewards of God’s resources...money, opportunity, people’s lives, open doors,
In the parable of the talents, the stewards produced more than they were given.
Stewardship: To leave things better than when we found it.
Stewards make choices that are good for the kingdom... good for the family...it might cause them temporary discomfort...but they know it is best for the kingdom.