Saturday, April 16, 2016

Drawbacks of Disorder

1. Disorder produces stress. “Where are my keys?” I yelled at my wife. They were supposed to be in my bedroom drawer but they were not there. I was scheduled to have an important meeting but since I did not have my car keys I was going to be late. After searching the whole house, I finally found them on the kitchen table (right where I had accidentally left them), I jumped in my car and raced off to my appointment. On the way, I broke multiple traffic laws because I was late. It was only the grace of God that I did not receive a ticket.

2. Disorder leads to strife. In the example above, my wife Jessica had not moved my keys, but I yelled at her anyway because of the stress I was feeling. Because I yelled at her, suddenly, our marriage was full of strife. She yelled back, “I never touched your keys!” 

3. Disorder creates anger. I left the house angry at Jessica because she had yelled at me. My anger was completely unjustified because I had yelled at her first.

4. Disorder robs you of productivity. I was planning to arrive at my meeting ten minutes early so that I could mentally go over my agenda for the meeting and be well prepared. But, since I was late, the meeting did not go as well as it could have.

When I am in an atmosphere of disorder, I do not feel like working. If my desk is cluttered, I often get distracted or discouraged before I even begin on a project.

Environment is important. Staying in a nice hotel gives me a different feeling then staying in cheap dirty hotel room.

5. Disorder leaves you with less time. Since I arrived late, I had less time with my important friend. 

6. Disorder creates confusion. “For where envying and strife is there is confusion and every evil work” (James 3:16). Another time, I was scheduled to have a meeting with someone. They did not show up. Later I received an e-mail where they apologized for writing down the wrong time and the wrong date for our meeting in their planner.

7. Disorder raises questions about your integrity. We were working with a crusade director in a foreign country. We asked him to provide receipts for all his expenditures. Because of his disorder, he was unable to give us receipts for over half the money. He said he had lost the receipts, or forgotten to get them, or was waiting for someone else to give the receipts to him. Because he did not have the proper documentation, we suspected that he had stolen the extra money. He may have been completely honest, but his disorder planted doubt in our minds. We never worked with him again.