1. Intercession is standing in the gap.
Ezekiel 22:30 "I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none.
Stone walls protected the farm animals from wolves and foxes, but if there was a hole in the wall, the sheep would be unprotected. The shepherd would stand in the gap to protect the animals. God is looking for those who will stand in the gap on behalf of the land.
2. Intercession means “you pray for someone else.”
You can’t intercede for yourself.
3. Intercession is the sixth piece of the armor of God.
Ephesians 6:18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.
4. Intercession is taking up someone else’s burden as if it is your own.
5. Intercession is hard work and many people don’t do it because they are lazy and selfish.
People pray for themselves and ask for prayer but rarely take time to pray for others.
6. Intercession is a seed into someone’s life.
When you intercede for others, Jesus will intercede for you before God’s throne. The seed you sow becomes the harvest you reap.
7. An intercessor is not a “gap locator,” an intercessor is a “gap-stander.”
The intercessor stands on truth, not hearsay and gossip. The intercessor does not look for problems, they look for what God’s Word says.
8. Intercession brings healing and forgiveness of sins.
1 Kings 13:6 Then the king said to the man of God, "Intercede with the LORD your God and pray for me that my hand may be restored." So the man of God interceded with the LORD, and the king's hand was restored and became as it was before.
9. Intercession is what Jesus does for us.
Hebrews 7:25 Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.