1. God gave you an assignment before you were born. God told Jeremiah, “Before you were formed in the womb, I knew you…I ordained you a prophet to the nations” (Jeremiah 1:5 NKJV). God has an assignment for each of us. I am called to be an evangelist. It was prophesied that I would be an evangelist when I was five years old.
2. You must discover your assignment. What are you passionate about? What injustice do you get angry about? Joyce Meyer says, “What you can’t stand is a hint to what you are called to fix.” If you had the money and time to do anything you wanted to help people, what would you do?
3. Your assignment will be confirmed by your interests and passions. Are you good at singing? Your assignment may involve music. Can you fix a car? You might be called to be a car mechanic. Are you articulate? Perhaps you are called to preach. Once someone prophesied that I would sing on a music CD. I knew it was a lie because I do not have a good singing voice. I have always been interested in evangelism. When I was a teenager, I read the books of great evangelists. I would pass a soccer field and start dreaming of ways to fill the field with people who need Jesus. My passion revealed my assignment.
4. Your assignment will be revealed by your diligence. You will never discover your assignment sitting in a rocking chair. You may not know what your assignment is right now, but if you will start moving diligently in the direction of your dominate focus your divine assignment will be revealed. Initially, I did not know I was called to be a writer. But, my larger assignment to be an evangelist created the need for me to also be a writer.
4. Your assignment will be something that no one else can accomplish. Look at your thumb. No one else on the planet had your fingerprint. You are unique and special. God has given you abilities that are not duplicated in any other person on earth. If you do not complete your assignment, it will never be done in the way that only you can do it.
5. Your assignment is bigger than you can accomplish alone. You need other people. You need God to be involved in your assignment. With God’s help you can do something bigger than is possible with your own strength.
6. Your assignment will take your whole life to accomplish. Your life purpose is bigger than a few months or years. It may take you a lifetime to prepare to accomplish your assignment. After you die, the fruit of your assignment will continue.
7. There are a variety of ways for you to accomplish your assignment. The nature of your calling comes from God, but the way you fulfill your assignment comes from your creativity. My assignment is to be an evangelist, within this calling there are a variety of ways of accomplishing my assignment. I could be a street evangelist, a crusade evangelist, an Internet evangelist, or a television evangelist. Each of these options would be a fulfillment of God’s call on my life. My assignment comes from God, but the method I use to fulfill that assignment comes from me. The nature of my calling comes from God, the scope of my calling is revealed by my willingness to be used.
8. Your assignment is attached to a particular place, people, or problem. You are not called to fix every problem in the world. You are called to fix a specific problem that no one else can fix. Stay in your assignment and don’t try to minister to everyone. Paul was not assigned to John Mark. A trash collector cannot collect trash in both Seattle and Miami, he has to choose a geographical location to fulfill his assignment.
9. By embracing your assignment, you are saying no to distractions. Know who you are and what you are called to do. I am called to be an evangelist. When I embrace my assignment, it forces me to decline many invitations that are good but have nothing to do with my calling. The more clearly your assignment is defined, the easier it will be to make important decisions. On Facebook, some people make comments that I disagree with but I do not say anything. Why? Because trying to set them straight is not my assignment.
10. When you are in your assignment, you will be sought out by people who need your specific skill. People will appreciate you for who you are instead of for who they wish you were. I don’t get mad at my dentist because he does not cut my hair. You will be rewarded for the problems that you solve.