Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Fishing Village


In Haiti, we took our team of twenty-seven Bible School Students to a small fishing village sitting next to a lake. 
 The village is within sight of the main road but because of the rocky terrain, our vehicles bumped and bounced for thirty minutes to get there. When we finally arrived, we saw the worst poverty I have ever experienced.

About thirty huts made of sticks and mud were clustered together.  The children had bloated bellies and most of them were not wearing any clothing. Normally children would run to greet us with shouts, but these children silently watched us through sunken eyes. We gathered them together under a single tree that offered the only shade in the village.

We started by singing some songs in Creole. The children timidly joined in by clapping. Our team sat among the children, holding them in our laps. One little boy was fascinated with the blond hair of one of the girls on our team. He kept touching and stroking her hair.

We told the kids how much God loves them. We laid hands on each little child’s head. We picked them up and hugged them. A few of the children shyly smiled at us. All the children prayed a prayer of salvation with us.

One little boy caught my attention. He was naked. My guess is that he was about seven or eight years old. I prayed for him by laying my hand on his head. He looked up at me with big round eyes. After I finished praying, I took my hand off his head to walk away. He grabbed my hand with his hand and refused to let it go. From then until we left, he stayed right by my side. He took me on a tour of the village and showed me the dirt floor hut he lived in.

At the end of our visit, we were able to give the entire village enough high-protein food to eat for two weeks. We were able to positively impact that young boy’s life and I believe that I will see him again in eternity.